Dental implants are tooth-like structures that replace missing tooth roots. Here at Atlantic Dentistry Heyder and Associates, located in Kitty Hawk and Manteo, NC, Drs. Markus Heyder, Gunther Heyder, and Ashley Parham provide patients with these state-of-the-art tooth replacements. Read on to learn more!
The basics on dental implants
Implants are made of a titanium post that's anchored to the jawbone or a metal framework. To install these tooth replacements, your dentist first numbs the surgical area, before removing any remaining dental fragments. Next, they'll insert the titanium post and seal the surgical area for about 3-to-6 months. During this period, your teeth will undergo a process called osseointegration which causes the bone to naturally fuse with the titanium post. This reinforces your teeth and jaws to prevent sinkage and bone deterioration.
Following this healing period, you will return to either our Kitty Hawk or Manteo office, so that your dentist can place a connector and permanent crown to the implant. After that, you'll walk out of the office with a new and improved smile!
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Implants are designed to mimic natural teeth in both functionality and appearance
- They have a 95% success rate, making them one of the most successful dental procedures today
- Implants protect your jawbone from sinking in and jawbone recession
- Dental implants improve speech impairment, as well as biting and chewing functionality
- Dental implants are used for other dental procedures like bridges
- They can last a lifetime
Need dental care? Give us a call
Caring for dental implants isn't difficult. Like any restoration, they require brushing and flossing every day to prevent tooth decay and cavity formation. If you'd like to learn more about dental implants from Atlantic Dentistry, then don't hesitate to contact your Kitty Hawk and Manteo, NC, dentists by calling (252) 261-7700 or (252) 475-9841 (respectively) today!
Periodontal disease, also referred to as gum disease, is an infection of the structures around the teeth. Caused by an abundance of dental plaque, periodontal disease can wreak havoc on your oral and general health, but fortunately, it can be stopped and sometimes reversed if treated in its earliest stages.
Here at Atlantic Dentistry in Kitty Hawk, NC, your dentists, Dr. Markus P. Heyder and Dr. Gunther Heyder, can help treat periodontal disease before its harmful effects take hold. Here are 5 signs that you may have periodontal disease:
1. Red Gums. Red gums is one of the first signs your gums need attention. Healthy gums are usually pink in color, although they may contain other pigments depending on your ethnic origin. If you've noticed that your gums are red don't brush it off—ignoring the problem will only make matters worse.
2. Receding Gums. Gingival recession, or gum recession, is another classic sign of gum disease. Gingival recession is a condition in which the gums have pulled away from the teeth. The most common cause of gingival recession is gum disease caused by poor dental hygiene. Other causes of gingival recession include genetics, brushing aggressively, and teeth grinding.
3. Swollen Gums. At the beginning stages of periodontal disease, the gums become puffy and swollen. For many individuals with the condition, this inflammation is not painful, although medical care is still needed to stop the disease progression.
4. Bad Breath. Chronic bad breath can be a symptom of serious gum disease, so see your dental care provider if you are experiencing this recurrence. After all, finding out what's causing your bad breath puts you one step closer to getting rid of it.
5. Bleeding Gums. Bleeding gums are never normal, and you should visit a dental professional immediately if it occurs to you.
Concerned? Give our Kitty Hawk Office a Call
Ready to take charge of your oral health? Call Atlantic Dentistry at (252) 261-7700 right now to schedule a dental consultation in Kitty Hawk, NC.
In some cases, tooth extraction is the best solution to an oral health issue. Your Kitty Hawk and Manteo, NC, dentists, Drs. Markus Heyder, Gunther Heyder, and Ashley Parham, offer extraction and other services essential for a healthy smile at Atlantic Dentistry.
When tooth extraction is a good idea
Your Kitty Hawk or Manteo dentist may recommend extraction if:
- You injured your tooth: Although your Kitty Hawk or Manteo dentist may be able to offer treatments that help you keep your tooth, sometimes it's not just possible to save the tooth. For example, extraction may be the only option if a blow to the face fractures the root area of your tooth.
- You still have severe pain following a root canal: Root canals usually end your pain if you have an infection or inflammation. Unfortunately, in a small percentage of cases, pain, infection, and other symptoms persist. Extracting the tooth removes the source of your pain and gives your dentist access to infected tissue at the bottom of the tooth.
- You're getting full dentures: You may need to have a few teeth removed before you begin wearing full dentures.
- Your wisdom teeth are impacted: Fully or partially impacted teeth will never erupt normally because they're blocked by bone and tissue. As the teeth push again the bone and tissue, they can cause pain, pressure, swelling, and may even affect the alignment of your other teeth. Extracting these four teeth can give you much-needed relief.
- You need extraction before you begin orthodontic treatment: Removing a few teeth can help ensure that there's plenty of room to realign your teeth if you have a small mouth.
- Decay is extensive: Adding a filling or covering your tooth with a crown may not be an option if decay has affected most of your tooth. The tooth may also need to be removed if decay reaches the pulp and a root canal isn't an option.
Do you need a tooth extraction? Schedule an appointment with Drs. Markus Heyder, Gunther Heyder, and Ashley Parham of Atlantic Dentistry by calling (252) 261-7700 for the Kitty Hawk, NC, office or (252) 475-9841 for the Manteo, NC, office.
Do you want to illuminate your smile? We all want whiter teeth, and today, it can be accomplished safely, quickly, and effectively. Professional teeth whitening remove years of dental stains and the process is safe. The dentists at Atlantic Dentistry in Kitty Hawk and Manteo, North Carolina offer teeth whitening treatments to their patients. Here are 5 reasons to consider professional teeth whitening.
1. You will have a bright smile.
Tooth discoloration can ruin a nice smile. A professional teeth whitening treatment will whiten your smile and make you feel better about yourself. Take-home teeth whitening involves custom dental trays filled with a bleaching gel that you can use at home. For in-office whitening, your dentist will combine bleaching gel with a dental light to intensify and speed up the process.
2. You will get better results.
You will achieve extraordinary results in less time if you have your teeth professionally whitened by your dental provider. Many over-the-counter teeth whitening products are available including mouth rinses, whitening pens, toothpastes, strips, and gels. Most people will not see good results with drugstore products. The bleaching gels dentists use are stronger than over-the-counter teeth whitening kits.
3. You will see results quickly.
You can brighten your smile in a flash with a professional in-office whitening treatment. In-office whitening can make your teeth eight shades lighter in less than one hour. You will be able to see the results after treatment. A professional take-home teeth whitening treatment also provides fantastic results in one or two weeks.
4. It doesn’t damage your teeth.
Professional teeth whitening is completely safe when done correctly. It doesn't carry any serious side effects, but some patients may experience tooth sensitivity or irritated gums after treatment. Patients with dental cavities or gum disease should not have their teeth whitened until these conditions are treated.
5. It will give you long-lasting results.
Unlike over-the-counter teeth whitening products, professional whitening treatments provide results that last a long time. After a professional whitening treatment, you may need a touch-up after a year or two. Some patients who have had their teeth professionally whitened are still satisfied with the color of their teeth several years later. It's worth the cost to visit the dentist to get safe, long-lasting results.
Have a beautiful smile. Feel more confident. Gain quality of life. Professional teeth whitening will do you a world of good. Call Atlantic Dentistry today to schedule a dental consultation in Kitty Hawk and Manteo, North Carolina.
How dental implants from your dentists in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina can heal your smile
There are many reasons why dental implants are right for you. Dental implants can heal your damaged smile. They can rebuild and remake your smile stronger and more beautiful. The dentists at Atlantic Dentistry offer dental implants to make you proud of your smile. They have two convenient office locations in Kitty Hawk and Manteo, North Carolina to serve residents of the Outer Banks, and they can help your smile too!
Dental implants are the right choice to replace a single missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. They are also the right choice to provide a supportive foundation for a denture, which is called an overdenture. In addition to outstanding tooth replacement, dental implants offer advantages which you can’t enjoy with dental bridges or partials. These are just some of the advantages and reasons why dental implants are right for you:
- Dental implants are beautiful, as they are made of light-reflective materials that look just like tooth enamel, so your smile will sparkle.
- Dental implants are stable, as they are surrounded and locked in by bone, so they won’t ever move around. You can enjoy the foods you love, without worrying about the stability of your teeth.
- Dental implants are easy to maintain, as you just brush and floss them right along with your natural teeth. You don’t ever take them out for soaking like dental appliances. Dental implants are a permanent addition to your smile.
If your smile is damaged, you can restore it, thanks to dental implants. To find out more about the dental implant process and how they can remake your smile, call the dentists at Atlantic Dentistry with offices in Kitty Hawk, and Manteo, North Carolina. Call today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.