Your dentists in Kitty Hawk, NC, can help if your filling is loose
Fillings are an excellent form of tooth replacement. As they age, fillings can become loose. A loose filling can lead to bacteria leaking into your tooth. Bacteria can mix with the sugar in the foods you eat, producing an acid, which can give you tooth decay. Fortunately, your dentist can replace a loose filling before decay can happen.
Drs. Markus and Gunther Heyder and Dr. Ashley Parham of Atlantic Dentistry offer a wide range of dental services, including fillings, teeth whitening, and dental implants. They have two convenient offices in Kitty Hawk, and Manteo, NC, to help you and your smile.
If you have old metal fillings in your mouth, they can become loose and begin to leak. You may have a loose filling if you:
- See any cracks, chips, or broken areas of a filling
- See any margins of a filling that are worn down or crumbling
- Experience sharp, stabbing pain when you eat or drink sweet foods or beverages
- Experience throbbing pain when you eat or drink hot or cold foods or beverages
If you have any of the signs or symptoms listed above, you should visit your dentist as soon as you can. If a loose filling goes untreated it can:
- Cause tooth decay, which can lead to a bigger filling
- Result in you eventually needing a root canal
- Cause severe loss of tooth structure, which may make the tooth unrestorable
At Atlantic Dentistry, you can choose from:
- Conventional metal fillings, which are economical and strong
- Tooth-colored fillings, which are aesthetically beautiful and blend with your smile
- Dental crowns, if you have lost a significant amount of tooth structure
Your dentist can help you choose the type of restoration which is best for you. To learn more about replacement fillings and other dental services including teeth whitening and dental implants, call Drs. Markus and Gunther Heyder and Dr. Ashley Parham of Atlantic Dentistry. You can reach them in Kitty Hawk, NC, at (252) 261-7700, or at their office in Manteo, NC, at (252) 475-9841, so call today.