Periodontal disease, also referred to as gum disease, is an infection of the structures around the teeth. Caused by an abundance of dental plaque, periodontal disease can wreak havoc on your oral and general health, but fortunately, it can be stopped and sometimes reversed if treated in its earliest stages.
Here at Atlantic Dentistry in Kitty Hawk, NC, your dentists, Dr. Markus P. Heyder and Dr. Gunther Heyder, can help treat periodontal disease before its harmful effects take hold. Here are 5 signs that you may have periodontal disease:
1. Red Gums. Red gums is one of the first signs your gums need attention. Healthy gums are usually pink in color, although they may contain other pigments depending on your ethnic origin. If you've noticed that your gums are red don't brush it off—ignoring the problem will only make matters worse.
2. Receding Gums. Gingival recession, or gum recession, is another classic sign of gum disease. Gingival recession is a condition in which the gums have pulled away from the teeth. The most common cause of gingival recession is gum disease caused by poor dental hygiene. Other causes of gingival recession include genetics, brushing aggressively, and teeth grinding.
3. Swollen Gums. At the beginning stages of periodontal disease, the gums become puffy and swollen. For many individuals with the condition, this inflammation is not painful, although medical care is still needed to stop the disease progression.
4. Bad Breath. Chronic bad breath can be a symptom of serious gum disease, so see your dental care provider if you are experiencing this recurrence. After all, finding out what's causing your bad breath puts you one step closer to getting rid of it.
5. Bleeding Gums. Bleeding gums are never normal, and you should visit a dental professional immediately if it occurs to you.
Concerned? Give our Kitty Hawk Office a Call
Ready to take charge of your oral health? Call Atlantic Dentistry at (252) 261-7700 right now to schedule a dental consultation in Kitty Hawk, NC.