In some cases, tooth extraction is the best solution to an oral health issue. Your Kitty Hawk and Manteo, NC, dentists, Drs. Markus Heyder, Gunther Heyder, and Ashley Parham, offer extraction and other services essential for a healthy smile at Atlantic Dentistry.
When tooth extraction is a good idea
Your Kitty Hawk or Manteo dentist may recommend extraction if:
- You injured your tooth: Although your Kitty Hawk or Manteo dentist may be able to offer treatments that help you keep your tooth, sometimes it's not just possible to save the tooth. For example, extraction may be the only option if a blow to the face fractures the root area of your tooth.
- You still have severe pain following a root canal: Root canals usually end your pain if you have an infection or inflammation. Unfortunately, in a small percentage of cases, pain, infection, and other symptoms persist. Extracting the tooth removes the source of your pain and gives your dentist access to infected tissue at the bottom of the tooth.
- You're getting full dentures: You may need to have a few teeth removed before you begin wearing full dentures.
- Your wisdom teeth are impacted: Fully or partially impacted teeth will never erupt normally because they're blocked by bone and tissue. As the teeth push again the bone and tissue, they can cause pain, pressure, swelling, and may even affect the alignment of your other teeth. Extracting these four teeth can give you much-needed relief.
- You need extraction before you begin orthodontic treatment: Removing a few teeth can help ensure that there's plenty of room to realign your teeth if you have a small mouth.
- Decay is extensive: Adding a filling or covering your tooth with a crown may not be an option if decay has affected most of your tooth. The tooth may also need to be removed if decay reaches the pulp and a root canal isn't an option.
Do you need a tooth extraction? Schedule an appointment with Drs. Markus Heyder, Gunther Heyder, and Ashley Parham of Atlantic Dentistry by calling (252) 261-7700 for the Kitty Hawk, NC, office or (252) 475-9841 for the Manteo, NC, office.