Dental implants are tooth-like structures that replace missing tooth roots. Here at Atlantic Dentistry Heyder and Associates, located in Kitty Hawk and Manteo, NC, Drs. Markus Heyder, Gunther Heyder, and Ashley Parham provide patients with these state-of-the-art tooth replacements. Read on to learn more!
The basics on dental implants
Implants are made of a titanium post that's anchored to the jawbone or a metal framework. To install these tooth replacements, your dentist first numbs the surgical area, before removing any remaining dental fragments. Next, they'll insert the titanium post and seal the surgical area for about 3-to-6 months. During this period, your teeth will undergo a process called osseointegration which causes the bone to naturally fuse with the titanium post. This reinforces your teeth and jaws to prevent sinkage and bone deterioration.
Following this healing period, you will return to either our Kitty Hawk or Manteo office, so that your dentist can place a connector and permanent crown to the implant. After that, you'll walk out of the office with a new and improved smile!
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Implants are designed to mimic natural teeth in both functionality and appearance
- They have a 95% success rate, making them one of the most successful dental procedures today
- Implants protect your jawbone from sinking in and jawbone recession
- Dental implants improve speech impairment, as well as biting and chewing functionality
- Dental implants are used for other dental procedures like bridges
- They can last a lifetime
Need dental care? Give us a call
Caring for dental implants isn't difficult. Like any restoration, they require brushing and flossing every day to prevent tooth decay and cavity formation. If you'd like to learn more about dental implants from Atlantic Dentistry, then don't hesitate to contact your Kitty Hawk and Manteo, NC, dentists by calling (252) 261-7700 or (252) 475-9841 (respectively) today!